You still may be working on your new year’s resolutions and with warmer weather on the horizon, we’re reminded of our goals to maintain a healthy weight and eat those 5-10 fruits and veggies every day. But if you’re wondering how on earth to get your 5-10 daily, here are some tips from Go South! chef Nicole Young:
1. Remember, serving sizes are small – 1/2 cup (125 mL) of chopped vegetables or fruit; or 1 cup (250 mL) of salad greens are all you need for one serving.
2. Add fruit to your morning cereal or oatmeal (i.e. strawberries or blueberries).
3. Make a fruit smoothie for breakfast or for a snack during the day.
4. Buy packaged ready-cut veggies or prepare them ahead of time for quick snacks (i.e. celery sticks, green pepper strips).
5. Snack on individually packaged fruit cups during the day. Choose fruit cups that are packed in their own juice.
6. Add a variety of vegetables (i.e. chopped spinach or green peppers) to your favourite tomato sauce.
7. Make sure the fruit juice you buy is 100% pure fruit juice.
8. Eat a 1/4 cup (50 mL) dried fruit as a snack.
9. Snack on veggies and dip and keep them handy for your kids.
10. Remember, variety helps. Visit the Go South Produce website for additional suggestions for using fresh produce from the Southern U.S.