We are all familiar with vegetable drinks like Tomato Juice and V-8 Cocktail. Are they a good way to get some high quality nutrients? Probably not the best, especially since they lack most, if not all, the fiber content. They also contain LARGE amounts of sodium.
Try making your own vegetable drinks, or vegetable smoothies. Here are some sample recipes. By using raw vegetables you get ALL the nutrients, AND the fiber.
You will need a juicer for these, unless you soften the harder vegetables and then a blender will do. Just don’t use any processes that see some of the goodness thrown out. For example, my best juicer separates the juice from the pulp. I then take at least some of the pulp and use a blender to add it back to the juice. The pulp has too much goodness (and fiber) in it to just throw away.
I have 2 juicers. A small powered (and relatively inexpessive) one, and a heavier duty Champion juicer. The Champion is more powerful and much easier to clean. When you buy a juicer, try to get a look at all the parts, especially the parts that grind or crush items like carrots. Picture how easy or hard they will be to clean.
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 6 ice cubes
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 small handful spinach or romaine leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- salt and pepper to taste (careful with that salt!)
Carrot Apple Smoothie
- To start, just juice some carrots and apples together. Experiment with quantities to get a nice taste. (just don’t cut out too many of the carrots!)
- Next, add some other interesting items, like beets, celery, cucumbers, radishes, onions, strawberries, or cranberries. Maybe even some hot peppers! One author I read of even uses turnips and parsnips. I have not tried adding those, but obviously experimentation is fine.
Have fun drinking your vegetables!
the following is a FREE OFFER to readers of the Nutrition Lessons website
Who else wants to have more Energy and Stamina?
"Over 120 Quick and Easy Smoothie Recipes That Give You More Energy and Stamina!"
Just whip up one of these yummy smoothies whenever you need an energy boost!
To get your free copy of our ‘Smoothies eBook’, just visit this special order page. Don’t worry, I said FREE and I meant it. The e-book comes in PDF version (about 800K in size).